Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cooking Indian at home, attempt #1

Part of what inspired me to start this blog was my encouraging a friend of mine to start one.  He is an amazing cook and makes incredible Indian and Chinese food.  Probably because his mom is Chinese and his dad is Indian - must be in his blood or something.  Anyway, he had sent me a vegetarian recipe to try because I recently went veg, but also partly to make sure the recipes he's so familiar with in his head are easily translatable to someone like me, who has never made Indian food.  I love to try new recipes and volunteered as an eager guinea pig.

I was sent a recipe for Sai Bhajji - Sindhi Saag.  Since my friend is starting his blog as I type, I don't want to steal his thunder and give too much away about the dish.  I'll update my post with a link to his blog so you can get the recipe there.  In the meantime, take a look at the photos I took while chopping and cooking.

sliced potatoes

diced onions and orange pepper

more potatoes and some carrots
roughly cut plum tomatoes


spinach

into the pot

after some time on the stove

my favorite salt shaker and hand-painted spoon rest


simmering away

brown basmati rice... mmmmm...

the finish product topped with a dairy treat





Doesn't it look good? And easy??  Yes to both.  It was very tasty, though I think I added a little too much turmeric, which is the key ingredient.  I'll know better for next time.   The good thing is that I've finally tried making Indian food; it's something I've always been curious about.  It's so delicious but seemed intimidating to replicate.  Thanks to my super talented cooking pal, I'm looking forward to trying those vegetarian dumplings he mentioned the other day.  YUM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment